Re: One person's opinion

I sympathize, and I don't want to start a fight, and I didn't put any of your
plants into tc, but if you sold the plant without a patent, I'm afraid you don't
have a leg to stand on. I really don't see any difference between putting the
plant in tc and buying a hosta and selling divisions without giving the breeder a
cut of the profit.  It's just a matter of scale.

Most growers buy tc plants, and I think most of us know that the breeders
generally don't get a commission. It seems to me that if I object to my plants
going into tc, then I shouldn't buy anyone else's plants from a lab unless they
are getting a commission. And if that's the ethical thing to do, how can I divide
one of Mildred Seaver's introductions and sell it without sending her a check?  I
think it's a shame, but until the breeders find a way to convince the labs that
it is in their interest to share the rewards with them, as Jim Anderson does, you
just have to accept the fact that once you sell an unpatented plant, the buyers
can do just about anything they want to with it, just as you can divide and
resell any unpatented plant that you buy.

Chick