Re: One person's opinion

ShayDguy@aol.com wrote:

> It is a shame how some people are so greedy that they trample another's work
> and dreams under their heel for the almighty dollar.

Boy am I going to get in trouble here.

How many of you guys have asked yourselves 'why pay the big bucks for a new
introduction when I can just wait until it comes out in tc and I can get it

And if I started tacking a few bucks on to my prices in order to give a cut to
the hybridizers, how many of you would look for cheaper plants somewhere else.
It's easy to complain about other greedy people, but the tc labs are giving most
of you just what you want, cheaper hostas.  And any money they pay to Mary, or
Mildred, or me will make your hostas more expensive.  It's the consumer that's
going to pay, not the tc labs.  And while you can all say that you'll be glad to
pay the extra, if 5 good growers offer the same price and one is five bucks
cheaper, who are you going to buy from?

When Jim Anderson gives a hybridizer a commission on each plant, it is openly
added on to the price.  The grower pays more, and so they charge more for that
variety.  That seems to me to be totally fair, and I wish that all of the labs
would do it.  But I know from 20 years in this business, that if one person wants
to be fair and give a commission, and another wants to sell his plants as cheap
as possible, most people will buy the cheap plants.

Unless the hybridizer makes an arrangement with a lab, and by not selling it to
anyone else makes sure that that lab has exclusive access to the plant for a
reasonable time I don't think there is any way to solve the problem, and I don't
really think there is anyone to blame.  It's just the way it works.