Crown Rot

Dear Friends,

For those of you who think I just send out jokes in poor taste--I have some
news.  I DO grow hosta and have done so for years.

My problem is this:  Due to having my garden on tour (as a work in progress,
for sure!) in about a week, I decided to attack a major weed patch that I
hadn't bothered with for a few years.  I began by removing all the "good"
plants with the idea of cleaning out all the weeds, putting an underground
barrier along my property line to reduce root intrusion, amend  the soil and
replant with the old stuff and some newer stuff also.  Then I ran into two
plants in a very shady area with crown rot.  I discarded them immediately and
treated the area as follows: I soaked the area with 50/50 chlorox solution.
The following day, I drenched the soil surface with a concentrated fungicide.
 I thought I was done, when I found another hosta I'd overlooked with crown
rot.  I torched the ground with a gas burner until the soil was glowing where
the plant was, after removing the plant.

Aside from not planting in the area where the diseased plants were, do any of
you have any suggestions as to what my next step should be?

Jim Dixon
Detroit