Re: H. xxxxx 'Aureomaculata'

  • Subject: Re: H. xxxxx 'Aureomaculata'
  • From: Jim Hawes <hawesj@atlantic.net>
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 20:39:53 -0400

Andrew,

I looked up H. ventricosa 'Aureomaculata' in my worksheets for the Hosta
Sports wheels which show relationships of all related sports within the
group as indicated in January 1997.Let me describe these sports placed
on a clock face. Their position indicates the colors of leaves.

12 oclock.......H. ventricosa
3 oclock.........H.Gold Flush (Bloom), sport of ventricosa , cream
border
4 oclock.........H. v. Aureomarginata, sport of ventricosa, white or
yellow border depending on environment and time of year
6 oclock.........H. v. yellow form (Japan) from Sellers, imported from
Japan, perhaps a mutation of the species
6 oclock.........H. Purple Flame Forever (Zilis) probably unknown sport
from tc?
Center of circle ...streaked form , (Hawes) lost, natural spontaneous
sport of v. Aureomarginata
                       H. Encore (Hawes) name invalid because it was
used by another, streaked form, sport of yellow form ( Japan)
7 oclock.........H. Yellow Flame (Hawes 1999), yellow center in spring
8  oclock........H.Netta Stratham , yellow centered sport of H.v.
Aureomarginata from England
9 oclock ........H. Aureomaculata, seedling of ventricosa according to
Schmid, yellow center in spring ( I had assumed  it was a sport of
ventricosa, the species. I could be wrong on this) . My v.Aureomaculata
is yellow centered
10 oclock ......H. Flame Stitch (Falstad) sport of v. Aureomarginata,
white mediovariegated form
11 oclock.......H. Fury of Flame (Zilis), sport of v. Aureomaculata

I hope this information is useful. You did not indicate specifically why
you were asking the questions in your posting.

Jim Hawes