Over-Wintering Heuchera

  • Subject: Over-Wintering Heuchera
  • From: Andrew Lietzow <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 01:08:23 -0500

Andrew Lietzow wrote:
re:>>Please, someone correct me on my procedure which yielded nothing but dead plants...

In order to be accurate, "the corrector" would like to correct "the corrector".  :-)

RE>> Heucherella 'Burnished Bronze' winter losses.
I was mistaken that I had lost the whole lot of these.  Out of 36, I found that I have 16 that made it, not 0.  Please accept my correction.  However, even with about 1/2 loss, this is still too high.  Since Heucherella would seem to be an excellent companion plant to Hosta, I was hoping to find success in growing this plant.  I'll ask my vendor to see what they recommend but is anyone familiar with a more tried and proven protocol?  In general, I have found the Heuchera, Heucherella, and Pulmonaria ALL to be much more difficult to overwinter than Hostas (at least, when over-wintered in containers).

BTW, I believe Heuchera 'Cappucino' is one of the nicest newer varieties of Heuchera I have seen.  It is a very strong grower and we like that here. Don't like wimpy Hostas and I don't like wimpy Heuch's.... :-)

--
Andrew C. Lietzow, Hacker - The ACL Group, Inc.
..Also #1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com ...