Re: Some Grow---Some Don't

  • Subject: Re: Some Grow---Some Don't
  • From: Andrew Lietzow <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 01:48:51 -0500

Pat Mora and Clyde Crockett wrote about Hosta growth:

I believe it was Ken Marek or Kevin Walek who stated last spring something to the effect of, "We're not providing enough water to our Hostas in the spring" and I took this advice to heart.  In the past, I've depended on dear old Mother Nature to take care of the watering chores early in the spring.  Based on many discussions here, from viewing some gardens that have been nurtured along under more ideal growing conditions, and the above referenced statement, I have adopted a plan to attempt to ensure the plants have adequate water in the spring.  We've had an unusually warm April in central Iowa and I've applied supplemental water two or three times to different areas of the garden this spring.  It is only conjecture, but I believe they are responding favorably!

Having seen how they grow in Minnesota last AHS national convention, I'm determined to learn how to grown them better and if something as simple as a few extra waterings can help, then I'm game.  I would like to get to the stage when all of my basic "landscape infrastructure" is complete so that I can focus on adding lighting AND irrigation.  Of course, this is probably a bassackwards way of doing it, i.e. adding the lighting and irrigation system last when it probably should be planned into the landscape FIRST.  Yet, after nearly 50 years, I've pretty much accepted that that is how I do things!   Ready, fire, aim!!!  Probably can't do this when I add the water feature... and maybe it wouldn't hurt to plan the irrigation system ahead of time, as well.  I need to make this supplemental watering thing an easy goal to attain...

One other note about Hosta growth.  From many other discussions on this matter, I am of the opinion that quite a bit of the growth capability for a Hosta in any particular season is actually determined by factors from the PREVIOUS season.  This is why it may be very important to water during a draught spell in late July or August--i.e. to help insure that the root systems can grow vigorously even during draught spells to provide sustenance to the plants the following spring.  It seems logical that a plant with a massive root system will fair better most of the time than one with a puny root system.  Purely conjecture, yet it seems logical.

Andrew C. Lietzow, Hacker - The ACL Group, Inc.
..Also #1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com ...
...1250-41st St Des Moines, IA 50311-2516 ......
....515-274-0300 V/F 515-238-6558 Cell .........