Re: Jim Hawes review of IPM practices

  • Subject: Re: Jim Hawes review of IPM practices
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 07:57:58 -0500

Dear Jim and Hosta-Open croonies,

As I read through Jim's posting regarding observations relating to
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) strategies, I was reminded of two recurring

#1) I am, at any given moment, on an intellectual continuum somewhere
between genious and dunce.  It can't be helped.  Fortunately, I am in good
company with all other human beings on this plant.  Even the most brilliant
of minds has little hope of keeping up with the information explosion.
Fortunately, computers and access to the Internet CAN give us access to
"artificial intelligence".  When I read and then reread postings like this
one from Jim, I become privvy to a whole wealth of information very rapidly.
Twenty years ago, even the POTENTIAL for this knowledge to become embedded
in my cranium would never have existed, let alone the REALITY that I can
possess this knowledge freely because Jim, via the Internet, has
disseminated it.    (Whether it will stick or not is a whole 'nother problem
but at least I can store it on my computer!)

As an example, I was sharing with some workers yesterday about the miracle
of Heritage (from Zeneca) and how it knocked out a fungal invasion that was
creeping into my Hostas last season (following the monsoon season of May and
early June).  One of the guys asked, "How does it work?".  I wanted to say,
"Heritage is a product based on Strobilurins, which are organic compounds
produced by some naturally occurring European fungi. They function by
inhibiting the electron transport of other potentially competitive fungi".
Unfortunately, I had to say, "I don't really know but I'm glad that it does,
and I'm glad that Dan Nelson mentioned it on the web".

Because we know WHERE to find such information, and because it is READILY
accessible to everyone with Internet access, it becomes easier to become
better stewards of our spaces on the planet.

#2) I am also reminded of a statement that I made off-the-cuff one day and
for some reason I've been allowed to remember it.  Maybe that's because I
think it is true.  "Give the world 10 years without chemicals (that control
pests) and in 10 years the bacteria, fungi, virii, vermin and all manner of
other pests will destroy life as we know it on the planet".

As Jim points out, there is great responsibility involved in taking care of
the Earth and our Hostas, and in managing the pests that attact them.
Without our controls, pests would devastate our quality of living, relegate
mankind to plaques, famine, and a whole host of problems that would
continually break our spirits, and our bodies.

Thank God that brilliant people holed up in a lab somewhere (e.g.
http://www.oxmol.com/news/invent.shtml ) enjoy learning how to control these
pests.  Jim's post reminds me of my responsibility to do my part.

Now where is that sprayer!!!

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman of http://hostahaven.com