Peter Ruh correspondence #8

  • Subject: Peter Ruh correspondence #8
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 17:41:20 EDT

Good Afternoon Peter and All,

Well, finally it has started to rain here in Des Moines, So far for the week
we must of had over 3 inches of the welcomed commodity.  We were very dry
here.  One thing that I have noted is that "Arthur Rightus" does not like
rainy weather.  It is one big pain after another.  At least it has freed up
some time that I can get on with our correspondence.

Your letter or packet dated April15 arrived here on April 20th. I have worked
on pages 1 thru 4, and have pages A- 1& 2 plus B1 and 2, and the 2 single
sheets yet to work on.  The answer might be is that we need more rainy days
so can get office work done.

Your letter of April 23rd consisting of 4 pages arrived on the 26th.  This
will keep me employed full time if I want to check out all the information.

I have received the Hosta Registrations book for 2000.  I have posted your 14
registration into my data bank and I will send you a copy of each.  The rest
of the registrations will have to wait till next winter when more time is

You made a comment on the Eunice Fisher book.  Yes, I have it.  In the
reference section she is listed as 'Fisher.'  The numbers shown are the index
page numbers.  I did not include any of the older hosta names when I started
to compile the data bank because I wanted only those names that were
currently being used and sold. Perhaps in time I will add any new "old' ones
as they are used in current magazine, price lists, etc.

 I know it is your wish that I remove all the misspelled names from the Lemke
List.  Almost all fields in the data bank are active fields and from this
information I can select a wide list of data and print it out.  My list then
is for the beginner with a computer.  You must spell things just exactly as
they should be.  For Instance, you Registered 'Tattletale Gray'. which can
become Tattle Tale Gray or Tattle Tale Grey or it could be Tattletail Gray,
or Tattle Tail Gray or yet Tattle tail Grey.  I was a master at poor
handwriting.  You could never tell if I dotted the 'i' or crossed the 't.'  I
soon learned that with a computer you must learn to spell.  So I leave the
misspells in and show you how to find the correct spelling.
  It is hard to be all things to all people.  I would certainly advise you to
have someone take your extensive records and get them into a computer so that
the information can be sorted for future generations use.  The tough part is
that us older folks have one dickens of a time trying to figure out how the
computer does it. They can be maddening.
My data bank print out is in 13 binders compared to one small compact disk
which holds all the same information.

Well, happy day or night, my grandson Christopher age 4 is coming to stay
overnight. We'll go out for supper or I guess that is dinner and get ready
for a million questions, and a lot of noise.

Have a good week end, and keep in touch