Re: Jim Hawes review of IPM practices

  • Subject: Re: Jim Hawes review of IPM practices
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 08:41:11 -0500

Hi Bob,
I used to be a pessimist, too, about mankind.  Then I started looking around
me and everywhere I look, I see people enjoying life.  (Well, not quite
everywhere).  I also read a book entitled "Unlimited Wealth - The Theory and
Practice of Economic Alchemy" by Paul Zane Pilzer.  At first, I was very
sceptical about this claim that we live in a world that offers "Unlimited
Wealth".  Aren't the natural resources being gobbled up?  Isn't the world on
the verge of destruction or self-annilation?  Not according to Mr. Pilzer
and I began to see where he was correct.  The evidence is all around us.
People once worried that we would run out of coal because so many people
were burning it in their homes.  How many people burn it in their homes
today?   The same will be true about all of our natural resources.

The more I read, the more I studied, and the more I investigated in my short
nearly 50 years, the more I am convinced that we live in a world of
abundance, that Man is indeed made in the likeness of God with great
intelligence, and that there is significant reason to have joy and have it
abundantly.  We will invent solutions and creatively resolve problems to
most every nasty situation in which we are find ourselves. "Accelerating
technological development has virtually eliminated scarcity"--PZP.   The
information age has replaced the industrial age and the industrial age
replaced the agricultural age and the agricultural age replaced the ... the,
the, the.... stone age?  (I don't know... something about people having to
wander around looking for food, whatever that age was... )

(I just took a tour of the garden and it's coming along nicely.  What a
great time of the year!)...

While your neighbor may a different perspective (as I once had back in the
60's), I have changed my tune a lot over the years and come to the
conclusion that while "less may be more" to some folks, "more may be more to
others".  I don't think we'll be able to feed the world's starving via
naturally grown products.    I'd hate to see what would happen to Iowa if we
followed your friends advice for just 10 years!  Can you imagine what the
status of our state would be after 10 years of no chemicals and no BioTech
grain?   Massive crop failures, massive unemployment and business failures,
and massive exodus of the population to regions of the country where people
use IPM to grow their crops.   Maybe we should just cut back a billion or
two on the population.  Sure, now there's a solution.... lets all line up
and volunteer.  Who wants to be the first to go?

We CAN have life, and have it abundantly... everything in moderation.
Different strokes for different folks...

Andrew Lietzow, Plantsman

HostaHaven.com
1250 41st Street
Des Moines, IA 50311-2516