Re: Hosta 'Cherry Berry' Hardiness?!

  • Subject: Re: Hosta 'Cherry Berry' Hardiness?!
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Sun, 06 May 2001 07:19:05 -0400

Clyde (and Mike),

I don't know that I am "qualified" to comment on the hardiness of Cherry Berry, since I live right on the cusp of 6b and 7a (literally; the dividing line is between my county and the one next to me), but I'll add my $0.02 into the pot.

I've tried CB three times over the years. The first two tries were in the ground, starting with full, healthy nursery grown plants. Neither made it through the first winter.My final try was two years ago when I planted CB in a hypertufa pot. It has not only survived two winters completely exposed (no straw or any other insultation) but is thriving.

So I wonder if a lot of the hostas we consider marginally hardy are succumbing to wet feet rather than cold alone? A few years ago Diane Frederick advosed me to water my potted hostas well, then lay them on their sides and cover with leaves in early winter. I have not lost a single plant since (including Eventide).