Re: Sambacus Species and Varietes

  • Subject: Re: Sambacus Species and Varietes
  • From: BDeyes6@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 7 May 2001 07:37:29 EDT

I think you might be referring to Sambucus....elderberry?
I have five types in the garden.
Green with a fern leaf..deeply cut
yellow and green variegated
white and green variegated
golden
green with white splashing
(there is a red, but I have been unable to find it.)

They are kind of a weedy bush with soft, fluffy foliage,
They grow quickly and get about 6' X 8'......at least.
I hear that they can be trained to grow like a tree...but I was too lazy to
try
that.  I have seen one done that way. They can be trimmed easily.
Mine grow very quickly, love water and are surviving in
Cincinnati sun, but my plants are still small...about 3X2' after 1 or 2
seasons.

They say it is related to the honeysuckle....and can be propagated by
cuttings........They are vigorous!....I'll bet the roots are not nice.  I put
mine in front of a privacy fence.  Mine have never flowered or fruited, yet,
but they were only about 6" when I got them.

Hope this helps.

Betty