Re: Some Grow---Some Don't

  • Subject: Re: Some Grow---Some Don't
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 16:12:23 -0400

Hi Bruce,
          Then again if you got a division cut from a mature clump,
sometimes the rhizome will slowly rot away over the summer, leaving you only
a small plant or two formed from the tissue right around the growth bud/s.
This part of the rhizome seems to be the most disease-resistant. It is a
good idea to dust the cut area on a mature division that was cut before
planting. If I don't, I lose 5% or so of them.
           I have noticed that when tissue cultured plants are grown on at
nurseries some are very consistant in growth, producing almost 100% good
evenly grown plants, while others are very inconsistant, with only a few
growing into strong, healthy larger plants. Sometimes you can buy one of
these "defectives" unknowingly because all of the better ones have been
scooped up by the people before you and all you have seen are the bad
growers. This may be what happens when a plant gets a mixed reputation. Some
got the good ones, some the bad, and opinion is divided on whether it grows
or not.
         Everyone should understand that small, poorly grown plants may not
do well in the garden. You take a chance when you buy them. This is
especially true with tough-to-grow types, like the white-centered ones.
Another tip given from experience is ---------If you buy expensive rare
plants as mature divisions from a specialty nursery, check them carefully
for rot before you plant them. If you clean them up right away, you probably
can save them. If you don't, you may find yourself wondering next spring why
you lost the expensive ones. These rarities are often not well tested, so
may not be as disease-resistant as thought by the grower. They may have
grown fine in their gardens, but not encountered there the same diseases and
fungi that you have in your soil. Remember that when you buy something rare
and new, you are one of the ones who is doing the garden-testing for the
rest of us.

Gardening in the Garden State,

...........Bill Meyer

> Clyde, Bill, Ray, others:
> you may have overlooked another consideration when a plant starts to die
back over winters; the heritage of the plant. Generally, a large albeit not
inclusive statement, if your division came from a mature 5-6+ year old plant
to start, it will have outgrown any immaturity issues due to propagation
techniques.

> If the plant you have originated from tissue culture ( and what isn't
today, unless you know for sure) the plant will continue to show some of the
tc immaturity growth characteristics until it finally decides: to live or to
die. Blue Angel, Summer Music all have been problems for me even after
dividing them once or twice.