re:cherry berry

  • Subject: re:cherry berry
  • From: "Diann Barbee Thoma" <diannthoma@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 8 May 2001 21:57:35 -0500

I planted a Cherry Berry last Fall that was having problems with rot. (I
could pull a leaf out easily, since it was rotten at the ground level.)  I
spent the rest of the growing season dousing this plant with sulphur.  Well,
it did come back a couple weeks ago in spite of a winter that killed a
number of my zone 6 plants (esp a couple Heuchera, which, with the exception
of Splish Splash, I thought were very strong plants).  Though I can't say
the Cherry Berry looks vigorous, it also doesn't look sick.  But based on
this robin, perhaps I'll dig it up and add more sand to the soil.

A couple more slowmoes have been 2 of my 4 Lakeside Black Satins, all
planted last year. Based on the experiment initiated here, I went and dug up
the one that showed no sign of existence. Well, it's there with three
healthy-looking buds, though the roots aren't very large and don't show
signs of new growth. (I watered it back in with root starter solution; I've
also watered it with a sulphur solution.)  The other one is up 1/2" and
hasn't grown from that in a week. Don't know what the difference is, since,
for example, I planted two of these within 3' of the one that hasn't peeped
up yet and they're well on their way.  The one barely out of the ground and
having deep thoughts gets the most sun/warmth of them all....

Diann
zone 5b