Re: Treating shipped Hosta

  • Subject: Re: Treating shipped Hosta
  • From: halinar@open.org
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 08:47:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have a really general question regards shipping hostas.  For some
reason hosta people wait until the plants are in full leaf to ship
them, and then send them with all the leaves attached.  Of course the
leaves are likely to be wilted somewhat.  Why do hosta people way so
long before shipping hostas?

Hostas are very durable plants and can take a lot of mishandling, and
they can get quite dry.  The first question is why not ship hostas
earlier in the season when they are still dormant - just put the roots
and crowns in a plastic bag with some slightly moist peat moss or wood
shaving?  The second question, if you do wait until the hostas are
fully leafed out, why not just cut off the leaves.  I talked to one
commerical wholesale nursery and they said they buy hostas in the
middle of the summer from a particular person and he just cuts off all
the leaves.  They pot them up and a few weeks later the new leaves are
looking as nice as ever.

I am also convinced that many people who sell plants of all kinds do
not know how to ship plants.  I've received daylily plants where the
grower literally threw them into a box - what a mess.  To say the
least I do not buy plants from that person any more.

Joe Halinar