Re: Treating shipped Hosta

  • Subject: Re: Treating shipped Hosta
  • From: "Ron Crawford" <rdcrwfrd@ican.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:06:52 -0400

Hi Joe

My husband and I own a small mail-order nursery about 50 miles north-west of
Toronto.  We specialize in hostas and daylilies.  We always ship our hostas
when they are dormant.  We ship them in plastic bags just as you described.
This will be our last week-end of shipping because some of them are starting
to show too much growth and by the time the customer gets them the leaves
would be squished otherwise.  Doesn't make for good customer relations.

In regard to shipping daylilies, we wrap them in moist paper towels, with
newspaper on the top and bottom of the box.  So far, no complaints.

We have learned both systems trough trial and error both as a shipper and a
consumer.

Diane Crawford
Crescent Nursery