Lost Hosta over winter

  • Subject: Lost Hosta over winter
  • From: ctuttle39@juno.com
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 07:56:04 -0400

When Glen Williams (VT) wrote "little loss (of Hosta) last winter,"  got
me to thinking (dangerous!!), are there some cultivars and/or species
lines (e.g. Fortunei, sieboldii....etc) that have a more difficult time
getting through the winter or, perhaps, are the lost ones concentrated in
one bed or location?

I lost only three this year: two longipes types and a S&S/longipes cross
all in one bed (which I thought, being fairly well protected, would be
the least likely to take a hit.  But then that bed was NOT mulched - and
all the others are).   Perhaps my message to myself is:  MULCH!!

Comments?  Your experience?

Charles Tuttle
Columbus  OH  Z5