Lost Hosta

Hello All-

I've been off of this forum for a very long time now, mainly due to too
many emails.
But I've made my way back and am looking forward to getting a bit more

I couldn't miss a chance to vent regarding the Lost Hosta post so here
it goes.....

I LOST HOSTA like I wouldn't believe this year.  I've never lost a hosta
it involved extreme neglect before.

This year I lost:

Olympic Magic
Rain Forest
Dick Ward
Sea Gulf Stream
Blue Shadows
Delta Dawn
Lakeside Black Magic
Garnet Prince
Albiqua Drinking Gourd
June Bug
Bold and Brassy
Torch Light
Moon Light

There are a few others.  I'm starting to get a little weepy as I am
assigning $ amts to each of these hosta.

I'd say I lost about 1/2 of them to Voles.  The others I have no idea.
I am
not sure what to contribute it to.  One theory that I keep comming up
with is that I live very near Lake Michigan and last summer was one of
the coolest ever in recent Hosta memory.  Things first started warming
up towards the endo of the season.  Most of my plants didn't even bloom
until Oct/Nov.  Then as things were starting to take off we got hit -
instantly - with winter.  Below freezing and Lotsa snow.  I am wondering
if this may have contributed to my losses.  That maybe the plants did
not get a chance to harden off properly and go dormant and never
recooperated in the spring and wa-la dead hosta?

Does this theory fly? or am I way off base?

Mike Pinterics