Re: Burying pots in the ground

  • Subject: Re: Burying pots in the ground
  • From: Andrew Lietzow <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Sat, 12 May 2001 22:44:48 -0500

Hi Gerry,
RE:>>One of my local hosta nurserymen said
GE likes its roots confined, and I should try potting it, then sinking the
pot in the ground. Comments?
Mushroom compost, horse manure, or well composted organic matter... this is the stuff that great Hostas are made of.  You can, however, force more foliage by constraining the plant but this provides, usually, a short term gain at the expense of long term advantages.  I can't imagine that a constrained/confined root system would be of benefit to the plant for the long term health of the plant.

As for soilless mix for pots.  Yes.  Soil is for outdoor locations and soilless mixes are for pots.  Soil in pots is usually not a good thing, unless the soil is exceptionally light, as in the composted mix just mentioned.  The phrase "Hostas don't like wet feet" comes to mind.  Don't know is you can relate but the idea is that, following watering, all plants need to "breathe" through their root systems.

Andrew C. Lietzow, Hacker - The ACL Group, Inc.
..Also #1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com ...
...1250-41st St Des Moines, IA 50311-2516 ......
....515-274-0300 V/F 515-238-6558 Cell .........