Re: On Stage (WasRe: Burying pots in the ground)

  • Subject: Re: On Stage (WasRe: Burying pots in the ground)
  • From: Andrew Lietzow <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 07:41:13 -0500

Gerry/Bob O'Neill wrote:
RE:>>Should I be patient? Move it again (where)? Or order a more mature replacement?

Short version:  Yes, yes, and yes.  <g>

Long version:
1) Patience is a virtue.  It's usually good to exercise patience.  However, there does exist a practical limit as you well know.

2) Moving it could be good.  I had a Sagae that wasn't doing much--3+ years in one spot and still had only one division; moved it last year and now it has two nice-sized additions.  No rossizing; no BAP; just moved it and amended the soil well.

3) Ordering a more mature replacement could also be good, IF you want a larger plant sooner.   It don't think it's "cheating" to plant multiples of one cultivar at the same time.  There are no laws that state that you have to start a plant with only one division.  For a while here at HostaHaven, my brain must have thought that was some kind of rule that must be obeyed; "You must only purchase one plant so that  you can prove yourself a capable gardener".  Probably got handed down to me from my great-grandparents as a result of the great depression.  Conservatism can be good but it may not always be wise, especially if you want a larger clump faster.  Some people start out planting three or even a half-dozen plants--as though that were normal!

If you do order a "more mature" plant, it can just be an addition to your current clump and not a replacement.  An encourager of sorts, like a big brother/big sister.  :-)

--
Andrew C. Lietzow, Hacker - The ACL Group, Inc.
..Also #1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com ...