Re: Burying pots in the ground

  • Subject: Re: Burying pots in the ground
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 22:12:43 -0500

Hi Paula,
I just came back from the greenhouse.  I may be smart about some things, but I can assure you that I'm not the brightest star in the galaxy on others (I know, "we keep telling you that.  Why don't you listen!"  Yuck, yuck, yuck...)

There does appear to be hope, however.  Within the next couple of weeks I will add 1) 50% shade cloth over my current unit, 2) a repaired fertilizer injector unit which will allow me to once again apply water soluble fertilizer (plants need to eat, too) and 3) an automated watering system.  A few weeks after that, MAYBE I can BEGIN to think of myself as a Hosta "grower".   In the meantime, I'm more a Hosta killer than a grower.<g>

Folks like Bob Solberg, Tony Avent, Chick Wasitis, Ran Lydell, Van Wade, Mark Zilis, Jack Hirsch, Mary Chastain, and on and on and on... these are the current real growers.  That Hosta College thing, however, has got to be a great learning environment.  You'll standing in some mighty tall Hostas when you're hanging out at places like the HC.

Now in my garden, I HAVE started to gain on it.  If I keep working on it, someday I might even have a presentable display garden.  There are areas where there is some glimmer of hope even today, but there should be--I've been working on this project for 10+ years.  Sooner or later a person has got to start getting something right if you keep banging on it long enough and hard enough.  What I hate is when you have to keep redoing things because you did it wrong the first time.  Drat!  but live and learn...

Bury the pots.  Plant hardy Hostas.  Amend heavily with good compost.  Water frequently.  Avoid the wimps, unless you've lots of free time and enjoy pain and tears.  Treat for slugs.  These are things I'm learning and like you said, it's all about saying thanks to those who freely share their knowledge on the net.   Muchos gracias, you Hosta nuts.  Muchos gracias...

Hosta la Vista!

Andrew Lietzow
#1 Plantsman at http://HostaHaven.com
1250 41st Street