Re: Burying pots in the ground

  • Subject: Re: Burying pots in the ground
  • From: Andrew Lietzow <andrewl@hostahaven.com>
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 21:33:46 -0500

Ray W wrote:
RE:>>Unless you're planting roots on top, I can hardly believe your doing it wrong.
Andrew wrote:
>  What I hate is when you have to keep redoing things because you did
> it wrong the first time.  Drat!  but live and learn...
What I was referring to here, Ray, was what I call infrastucture.  Placement of trees, retaining walls, flagstone pathways, edging, things of that nature.  Seems I've done too much retrofitting and not enough enjoying.  I'm gaining on it, mind you, but it's a constant struggle because I am not gifted an talented in landscape or perennial garden design.  Every inch forward that I move has taken me a yard's worth of effort.

Oh how I do enjoy the spring and the areas that have now begun to speak to me, saying "I'm a permanent arrangement--you'll like me just the way I am for a very long time".   And all this on just a little city lot!  What if I had a LOT of space to rearrange like some of these folks here.

As for the top dressing, if you pull the weeds for a while, eventually you'll get ahead of it.  Just don't disturb the soil with a hoe or you'll never get to go to bed at night from all of the hoeing you'll have to keep doing.   Dan Nelson reminded us of that and it's so very true.

Hosta la Vista!

Andrew C. Lietzow, Hacker - The ACL Group, Inc.
..Also #1 Plantsman at http://hostahaven.com ...
...1250-41st St Des Moines, IA 50311-2516 ......
....515-274-0300 V/F 515-238-6558 Cell .........