Re: Disgusted

Absolutely nothing wrong with education and guidelines.  There are a number of
articles in the Journal written by breeders that go into that in some detail.
I'm not against educating breeders and growers, I'm just against rules.

Here's the problem with registration in my opinion.  You cannot stop people from
passing around a hosta if the person who has it considers interesting.  It
doesn't matter whether you think it is good or not.  If the person who finds or
breeds it likes it, chances are that person is going to give it to someone else
or sell it.  At that point, it would seem that there are at least two people who
like the hosta well enough to grow it, and it's probably going to get a name put
on it, and at that point, the AHS says it should be registered.  If it's not
registered, if the name is the least bit interesting, someone else is likely to
put the same name on another hosta.

Mary doesn't have much of a problem with this because she uses the Lakeside
prefix, and it's unlikely that anyone else is going to use it.  That's a good
practice that many are using now, but it doesn't have any effect on the number
of hostas being introduced.

The only way to limit registrations is for there to be someone designated to
decide which plants are to be registered or to make it so difficult that people
won't bother.  I don't like either way, and it won't reduce the number of names
or the number of hostas, it just makes it more difficult to keep track of them.

Registrations are just like the names in a phone book.  Just because somebody's
listed doesn't mean you have to call them.  What does it matter if there are
unworthy hostas mixed in with all these jewels I'm going to be registering as
soon as I stop wasting all my time doing this.

Chick