naming, other issues...

  • Subject: naming, other issues...
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2001 11:23:45 -0400

So, I'm popping out of lurk mode for the first time, to share my story on the naming issue, although I don't know quite where this fits in...

I ordered Crown Prince from Naylor Creek this spring, and got a small chartreuse plant. Now, I thought it was supposed to be variegated, but since the variegation is subtle, as per the following info., I thought I'd wait and watch. This was oh, maybe a month ago, and no variegation showing up. So I emailed NC, and they replied by saying that it's not a variegated plant! I looked it up in various sources, and emailed back the descriptions. They emailed Pete Ruh, who registered it, and who they got it from, and he says it's not variegated, and yet...

From the Hosta Library:
"H. 'Crown Prince' came to us from Ross and Ruh in 1987. A mature specimen
is 14 x 10" with a 10" scape. The leaf is chartreuse with
irregular cream to white margins.

On some leaves this coloration projects downward on the
petiole and tends to roll inward. Some leaves have a slight ruffling and
some undulations. It has intense violet flowers in August. There are also
some leaves which twist at the tip. The parentage is unknown.
Submitted by Glen Williams "

And from The Hosta Handbook:

'Crown Prince': (1978r, P. Ruh & H. Ross; unknown parentage) 12" by 25",
md of gold-centered, pale green mgd lvs, 5" by 3" (6-7 vp); purple fls in
Aug on 21" sc; foliage greens during the season."

And, from The Genus Hosta:
"'Crown Prince' Ross/Ruh 1977 IRA/1978
AHS-IV/20A
Plant Erect, 18" dia., 10in. high. Leaf 5 by 3 in, veins 7, chartreuse,
pale green margins and splashes, ovate, wavy-undulate. Scape 18in, bare,
straight. Flower medium, funnel-shaped, purple, flowers during average
period, sterile."