Re: Rotting stump question

  • Subject: Re: Rotting stump question
  • From: Alttara Scheer <alttara@earthlink.net>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 12:41:22 -0400

Linda,

I've done this very thing in not one, but three, stumps I have in my yard. However, it's all recent (a month ago, a bit more...) So far they seem to be faring well. Although, I did make sure that there were drainage areas.No slug damage so far, either, but it hasn't rained here in oh, a month or so.

-Alttara

Linda wrote:

Hi all,  I have a stump in  my main hosta area that has been rotting
away for years, but I am very fond of it...think it has "character"!!
This morning I removed most of the soft portion...the hard portion
left also has "character".
My question:  If I leave the mostly decomposed wood at the base,
almost a powder, mix in some soil, could I plant a hosta there and
not have it start rotting?  Also, am I leaving prime slug habitat by
not hauling away this rotting wood?
Thank you very much for any opions I may get...hope to get!
Linda Kofstad
s.Minn.