Re: Rotting stump question

  • Subject: Re: Rotting stump question
  • From: "Dan Nelson" <sussextreeinc@ce.net>
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2001 13:10:34 -0400

Slugs do find good habitat in rotting stumps. This should not be a serious problem though because this may act as a good bait and you can focus your slug control efforts near the stump. For several years when I was starting my garden here I used huge (4 or 5 foot dia) pieces of tree trunks to protect my hostas from wind desiccation. I could see the slug trails on the wood and at night would go out and spray the slugs with a 10% ammonia / 90% water solution. This solution can be sprayed right on the slugs and will not damage hosta leaves.

There are often many decay organisms found in decaying stumps. I don't think this would be a problem for hostas but I would experiment with cheaper hostas first before putting in prize hostas. I would be tempted to mix more soil in with your powdery decomposed wood at the base of the stump you are talking about to hold more moisture. I think this would be better for your hostas.

Dan Nelson
aka.....Treedude