Decomposers (Was: Re: Rotting stump question)

  • Subject: Decomposers (Was: Re: Rotting stump question)
  • From: "Gerry/Bob O'Neill" <eoneill@attglobal.net>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 07:56:20 -0400

Londa,
Others have answered the slug question, but as to the potential for rotting
your hosta..The organisms invoved in decomposing materials (particularly
wood) are not a threat to healthy plants, i.e., they aren't pathogens.
Otherwise, why could we get away with mixing half finished compost into our
soils? There are a few exceptions, but even those species will only turn
pathogenic if the plant is under a lot of stress from another cause. So
your hosta(s) should be in no danger. If you are still nervous about it,
try first with a cheap hosta, like Dan suggests, or plant the hosta in a
pot of soilless potting mix before putting into the stump.

I would LOVE to have a rotting stump to plant hosta in!

Gerry