RE: Registration (Was: Re: Disgusted)-newbie's 10cents worth- delete if not interested.....

  • Subject: RE: Registration (Was: Re: Disgusted)-newbie's 10cents worth- delete if not interested.....
  • From: "Pinterics, Michael W (MED)" <Michael.Pinterics@med.ge.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 May 2001 21:10:29 -0500

Maybe I am just too new at this but I honestly don't believe in the 10'
rule
and I don't think that uniqueness should ever apply to a registration.
I would
love to see a visual clone of say..... H. Cherry Berry.  But what if it
wasn't
slug candy, and every idiot could grow it and that set seed with
reckless abandon.
Or does this now make the plant unique, or atleast unique enough to
register????  I
wouldn't know because if I am just seeing a pic of it, I likely would
say "How
disgusting.... another miss use of the registration of Hosta!"  But what
would
I know? That's just me.  I don't personally feel that we should exclude
these hosta
or any other hosta for reason of not being unique enough.  I don't think
that a
committee should be formed to 'judge' what is worthy of registration or
should
instruct those who or register plants of which directions to go and what
is worthy
of a breeding program.

We have such experts on this forum I am not sure of why some feel
threatened by
new hosta being introduced and registered and eventually offered in the
trade.  I
would assume that all of the experts out there would simply be able to
read a
registration in the Hosta Journal and know immediately that the plant be
garden
worthy just because somebody who is or was somebody at sometime or
another registered
it.  Now say somebody who nobody has heard of registers a plant, it
therefore must
not be garden worthy, must not have been through trials and must
therefore be a
'disgusting' misuse of the registration process.  I could be wrong but
that seems
to be the general consent of a few on the forum lately.

I know that many 'extra special' names are being used up by these clones
and by
these 15 minutes of fame seakers, but good for them.  That is life.  If
the creators
of these magnificent extra special hosta that nobody has ever seen the
likes of
before can't think up a name for their plant..... well maybe they just
need to
try a little harder.

All I know is that if you don't like the hosta, or at very best the
description
of it which you read in the Registration paperwork remember this....
Alot of
folks working on these plants are not poet laureates nor are they
marketing guru's
of Wall Street.  They are just folks who like hosta and the descriptions
which
they may have given may not fully capture the essence of the plant
infront of
them.  That does not make them incorrect or any less special.  If it
sounds like
a terrible and disgusting plant to you, simply don't buy it.  I know
from the
description of Caviar I'd never buy it (the fish eggs, not the hosta if
there
is one with such a name).  Let's just not let Gestapo tactics take over
the AHS
more than they already have.  Let's not further add to the red tape
politics of
the process.  Let's just deal with it.

Mike
Milwaukee