Re: Buying Hosta in the Albany NY area...

  • Subject: Re: Buying Hosta in the Albany NY area...
  • From: Mrgrthumb@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 20 May 2001 08:33:58 EDT

In a message dated 05/19/2001 9:44:33 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
alttara@earthlink.net writes:
I will soon be driving up to the Berkshires area, from lower Westchester
co., NY. Will be driving up the Taconic. Does anybody know of any nurseries
with a good Hosta selection either (relatively) along the route, or near
the destination? Will travel for hostas! hahaha!
WE AREN'T TOO FAR to visit...(about a half hour away...in the Capital
District just outside of Albany
)

My 21 year old son has turned my HOSTAholic addiction into his own successful
back yard business and has 120 different varieties for sale at this
time...all at 25% or more below the Hosta Finder Average price...and when you
make an appointment to come, we give you a personal tour of the Garden where
you can see about 250+ mature specimens of different varieties as well.
Directions follow, but you must call to make an appointment, to be sure
we are there to show you around...since we are only open evenings and
weekends by appointment!

DIRECTIONS TO THE
Home of The Jennings
in Glenville Gardens
PLEASE BE SURE TO CALL TO MAKE AN APPOINTMENT BEFORE YOU COME TO BE SURE WE
ARE THERE TO GIVE YOU A PERSONAL TOUR OF OUR GARDENS.

Most people get to our home by finding their way to Schenectady Community
College on the West side of downtown Schenectady first and then proceed into
Scotia from there...
• Various routes are possible, but getting off the NYS Thruway at Exit 24
and Proceeding West on Route 890 through Schenectady to Exit 4C (Washington
Ave./Scotia) seems to be the preferred method for most.  The college will be
on your left as you proceed down the exit ramp for 890 and once you reach the
first intersection, you should turn left at the traffic light, onto Route 5
heading into Scotia.

• Proceed West on Route 5 across the Mohawk River on the bridge heading
into Scotia.  At the end of the bridge, you will come to the traffic light
with Glen Sanders Mansion on your left and Jumpin' Jacks Drive-in Restaurant
on your right...Count this as the first traffic light.

• Continue heading West on Route 5 (Also called Mohawk Ave in the village)
until you get to the fourth traffic light.  You will then turn right at this
light onto Sacandaga Road (Route 147) which is right opposite the CVS
Drugstore.

• Proceed North on Sacandaga Road (Rt. 147), for just under one mile (you
will pass the Scotia High School on your Left) until you get just barely over
the first set of RailRoad Tracks and then turn Right onto Pine Street.

• Our Home and Garden is the 15th House down Pine Street on your left.  Its
(A White House with Grey Shutters) and you'll see Gardens all over the
front yard

• Please park along the curb, but please keep your wheels out of the lawns.
 We suggest you select whichever side of the street has the most cars parked
there.  If no-one answers the door, please walk down the drive way a bit and
simply give us a shout out back!