Re: Registration

I hate to be defending a hosta that I would never personally grow for myself.
I guess my point is, that in spite of the faults that Ran lists, undulata
remains one of the most popular hostas because it is cheap and fast growing and
for some hosta buyers, that is the primary consideration.  I don't like to say
a plant should or should not be grown because of appearance, the buyers can
decide what they like.  Other than appearance, the other faults, thin leaves,
poor flowers, etc, we could probably say the same about Antioch and a lot of
others..

I've thought about taking the undulatas out of my catalog many times.  I guess
I just list it because I have it and there are always a few people who are
starting a collection or landscaping who want as many plants as they can get
for as little as possible.  I mainly sell it at retail, to people who are not
hosta collectors. They just want a cheap plant to put in their yard.  I don't
have anything else that I can sell as cheaply as undulata, and I don't think I
should tell them they can't have what they want.  I grow the good stuff for
hosta collectors and I grow the cheap stuff for the people who just want an
inexpensive plant.

I still think that the market is the best judge.

chick