Re: Fw: Registration

Hi again Bill.

I've read through our messages again and I think I can see why we don't see this
in the same way.  You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

I tried to go through your message and note all the mis-statements, errors,
fantasies, and just plain dunderheaded nonsense, but I was simply overwhelmed.
So, the best I can do is simply make a list of all the things I can think of, in
the limited amount of time available, that you should know before you go on.

1, Your initial statement that there are no new interesting hostas being
introduced is utter nonsense.  Mary, would you like to whop him upside the
head?  "Stuck in a
 rut of endless variations of the same old thing"?  If you want something
different than variations on the same old hostas, try perennial gardening.
Hostas are hostas and First Look is not going to come up with some hitherto
unknown cache of revolutionary new plants, unlike anything else we've ever
seen.  It may come up with one, two, maybe even ten, though I doubt it, but if
those plants are truly revolutionary, they would be discovered and put up for
sale anyway.  If everyone is so sick of all these boring new introductions, what
do you think we're doing with them all.  We're selling them, that's why there
are more and more of them every year.  Not every one is a jewel, but if you
can't find enough interesting plants among all the new ones being introduced to
keep you going, then you need to find a new hobby.

2, You totally dismiss the fact that, for the most part, the tc labs will
determine what is sold.  Certainly a couple of breeders and nurseries may make
arrangements for these exclusive deals that you envision, but what great benefit
is that to the world of hostas?  Exclusive deals keep availability limited, keep
price up, and as far as I can see, in no way benefit the consumer.  I'm not
against them, but if I get one it's for my benefit not yours.  The best way for
plants to be distributed, strictly from the customers point of view, is through
the tc labs.  Quickly, cheaply and by the thousands.

I do not grow most of my plants from tc.  The vast majority of my plants are
propagated by division of my own stock.  But new plants can be produced faster
and more cheaply by the labs, and except for those few that can't be done, the
vast majority will continue to be produced that way.  If I had one of the great
new plants that you are expecting to come out of First Look, I'd be making my
exclusive arrangement with a tc lab, not Bridgewood Gardens.

3.  Very few hosta nurseries can generate the volume necessary to make an
exclusive arrangement with a breeder worthwhile, except in cases where the
breeder is not interested in getting the best return for his plant.  Certainly
there are breeders who don't care about making money with their plant, but if
they do, most nurseries can't sell enough to make it worthwhile.  A few can, and
they will probably benefit as you envision.  The rest of us will just keep doing
things the way we always have.

4.  And lastly,

Bill Meyer wrote:

>  The issue is exclusive new introductions, not new plants to the catalog.
> You know, that "bragging rights" thing? The ones that have the big star next
> to them that means "available only from us"? That's what we're talking
> about.

Why is that the issue?  Who said it was the issue? The vast majority of hosta
producers have muddled through for years without depending on exclusive new
introductions.  My customers buy far more of those old run of the mill new
introductions from the labs, that I can offer at what I think is a reasonable
price (though I guess that's open for discussion) than they do of my
introductions.  The only effect I can see that your new marketing method will
have is to get prices of newer plants back up to where they were before the labs
started producing plants quickly and cheaply.  I'm not a cheerleader for the
labs, frankly I would prefer that anything I put out remain under my control.
Your vision of Hosta World would be fine with me, assuming I could get my hands
on some of these new exclusives.  I'm not saying it wouldn't be good for my
business, I'm just saying it isn't likely to happen.

>         That's where having Seedling and Sport Competitions can change
> things. Nurseries can see a wide range of new seedlings and sports and
> arrange with the originators to market them. If nurseries want to have
> exclusive new only-available-from-us plants and not battle with each other
> selling the same plant with different names then they have to get a look at
> what's out there.

I say again, Bill Meyers, you should be ashamed of yourself.  You have focused
on the few instances where actions by some producers have resulted in what you
portray as outrageous frauds on the hosta buying public, and made up a scenario
of how the business of selling hostas works - unscrupulous  producers conspiring
to introduce the same old plant over and over, controlling the market to insure
that wonderful new developments never see the light of day -  and you have made
up a vision of how you think it will work after First Look changes everything,
and neither one have any relationship to the real world.

>        Damn, I was going to keep arguing about this but your post just came
> in saying you agree with me. That's not fair!

I agreed with you on one small issue that had nothing to do with the current
conflict.  Kind of like the Palestinians and Jews agreeing that they have
nothing against the Swedes.

> Make some more outrageous
> statements.

Not a problem.