Getting seeds in Asia???

  • Subject: Getting seeds in Asia???
  • From: Arnhild Bleie <abbl@online.no>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 08:12:15 +0200

My son and a neighbour friend from childhood are finishing gymnas or
highschool these days - and now they and two others plan to go backpacking
in Asia for some months: central Asia (all those -stan countries along Silk
road you know), China, Laos, Thailand, Nepal, India ... home when money is
empty some time over new year?  :)

But: he will try to find seeds to send to mama! - that and some silk scarf
is all I wish .. so now I wonder if anyone here knows how he can get seeds
of hosta or maybe something else interesting too along this route?
Or in a special kind of markets or shops? I know it is not right along this
route hosta grow wild, but even so it might be possible to find seeds?
And what is Hosta called in Chinese? Or Russian?

I am not sure he will able find any park or so where hosta are much used,
since they do not go out to the coast before they are in Thailand - so
picking some seeds himself will be difficult?
Is there anything he should be aware of - like diseases or rules regarding
seed collecting - it will in no way be much seeds a few seedheads or so I

Clematis and Rhododendron are also nice to collect from Asia I supppose?

If anyone have anything to share about this I would be glad!

Arnhild - Hardanger in Norway