Re: long hosta names

  • Subject: Re: long hosta names
  • From: "Hugo Philips" <Hugo.Philips@skynet.be>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2001 23:45:42 +0200

Hi Cindy,

According to the "International Code of Nomenclature of Cultivated Plants " (ICNCP) a cultivar name
must be made of no more than 10 syllables or 30 characters (spaces and demarcation signs do not count).
Given the above limits of length, a cultivar name may be made of any number of words. Each word must
have a capital initial, with the exception of conjunctions, prepositions and a word coming after a hyphen (-).

So, don't buy H. 'Honey Hill Wrinkled Rainslicker'!

Btw, I think it's H. ' A Many-splendored Thing', with a hyphen.

Greetings,

Hugo

Hugo Philips
Brasschaat
Belgium

Home of HostaMania:  http://go.to/hosta
Hosta Links Page:  http://users.skynet.be/hostamania/hostalinks.htm

Sent: Monday, May 28, 2001 6:42 PM
Subject: long hosta names

Hi folks,

I'm busy making labels for my new hostas, one being H. 'A Many Splendored Thing'.   There's 23 letters and spaces in that name, and now I can't fit the breeder/registrar and date registered on the front of the label, along with the name (thereby upsetting my system, lol).  Is there a limit to the nbr of letters in a name?

Cindy Johnson
White Bear Lake, MN
zone 4a