Re: Moisture Crystals and Zerotal

  • Subject: Re: Moisture Crystals and Zerotal
  • From: NardaA@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 09:33:11 EDT

njhosta@hotmail.com writes:

<<   Regarding the water-absorbing crystals --- Using them in pots can cause
problems if more than a small amount are used. What happens is they swell the
soil mix when wet, but contract it when dry. When it contracts, it separates
from the sides of the pot and when you try to re-wet it, the water runs down
the sides and out. This leaves you with a pot that is very difficult to
moisten again.
             Regarding ZeroTol/ hydrogen peroxide --- Most of what I've been
hearing indicates it should be used frequently, maybe every two weeks or so,
where there is a problem. It is highly active when applied, killing a variety
of problem organisms, but doesn't last very long and has little or no
residual effect. On the positive side it is harmless to higher organisms, so
is very safe to use. The label does not recommend combining it with other
chemicals.

Hi Bill, I think that was the reason for using the crystals in just the
bottom third of the pot and it encourages deep root growth as the roots seek
the moisture, drying out would just cause the soil to sink in the pot.

Everything that you said about Zerotol is what I would have said but you said
it so eloquently, thanks.

Now to plant the rosemary............N.