H plantaginea Japonica is not a hybrid

George Schmid gives a full account of the story of Hosta
Plantaginea 'Japonica' I dont however agree with his conclusion.  It
is not a hybrid but just a slightly different clone of the species for
the following reasons Any hybrid with another species should have
left at least some signs First the DNA is identical to the H
plantaginea proper Second there is no difference in the flower not a
trace of colour Further the anthers are pure yellow Lastly, it indeed
has a lower pollen and egg fertility ( about 60 %) This due not to
hybridity but to the fact that it has been vegatively propagated for
several centuries. For more details see my article on the DNA and
pollen of all species of Hosta
Ben J.M.Zonneveld
Clusius lab pobox 9505
2300 RA Leiden