Re: H plantaginea Japonica is not a hybrid

  • Subject: Re: H plantaginea Japonica is not a hybrid
  • From: "W. George Schmid" <hostahill@Bellsouth.net>
  • Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 12:07:23 -0400

Hi Ben, All,

Maekawa (1940) clearly indicates that the anthers of H. plantaginea var.
japonica (prior to dehiscing) have purple margins, so are not pure yellow as
Ben has stated (Maekawa: "... antheris lutescentibus margine
pupurascentibus..."). Further, I have seen purple dotting in some specimens.
Where did that purple come from (hybridization?)? H. plantaginea var.
plantagines has pure yellow anthers (Maekawa: ... antherae flavae ...).
Please explain.