The Journal and Bulk mail

  • Subject: The Journal and Bulk mail
  • From: CBCTPLANT@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 12:59:48 EDT

Greetings All,

I have gotten a few Emails and phone calls from AHS members who are concerned
that their issue of the Hosta Journal has not arrived and that it is lost and
need a replacement.

This seems to come up each time a Journal is mailed and certain members get
theirs delivered and others seem to wait endlessly for theirs to arrive once
the praising starts!

In going through my Email archives I found a post from Kevin Walek back in
1999 on the subject.  It involves bulk mailings and how and why some get
their Journals and weeks later others have not yet received their issue.

The mailing of this current issue also includes the 2001 New Registrations
Issue.  I have not yet gotten my copy BTW but have heard SUPER things about
Bob Olson's first issue as Editor.  So Kudos to Bob and Janet Mills and all
who contributed to the issue we are waiting anxiously to receive!!!!!

In the particular case that Kevin is mentioning below, all Journals were
mailed on
Dec 6,  1999. His post was written Dec 30, 1999 and he mentions that it COULD
take as long for it to arrive (according to the bulk mail stipulations)
until the end of Jan. 2000!

From Kevin's 1999 post on bulk mail..........
All the Journals were mailed the same day. Each post office that it passes
through is supposed to hold it for no more than 2 weeks (the old bulk mail it

was 6 weeks per post office). Based upon past experience it has taken as long

as 18 weeks from first to last.

All the Journals were mailed by December 6. Since it is supposed to take 1/3
the time under this "Non-Profit Org." license, it still could be as late as
Mid-January and the post office would probably not be violating its rules.
Also based upon past experience, even within the same post office zip code,
each mailman can decide when within the 2 week period to deliver the piece of

mail. Again based upon the past I know of one zip code, interestingly enough
in Peoria, IL, where it took the full 6 weeks for everyone in that same zip
code to get their copy.

If anyone is wondering why they aren't sent 1st class is that it would cost
nearly $4 more per member.

Kevin P. Walek                 12/30/1999 5:45:04 PM Eastern Standard Time

I hope this helps to explain why some get their Journals right away while
others of us wait for the Pony Express guy to amble by.  It is ALWAYS worth
the wait!

Carol in CT
Carol Brashear
American Hosta Society