Re: The Journal and Bulk mail

  • Subject: Re: The Journal and Bulk mail
  • From: CBCTPLANT@aol.com
  • Date: Fri, 17 May 2002 15:20:35 EDT

In a message dated 5/17/2002 1:39:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time, annfree@earthlink.net writes:

I haven't joined the hosta society, but do you think I should?  I mean, I
bought my first hostas last year when confronted with more shade than sun.
Then they vanished over the winter and I thought they were gone.  Now they
are not only back, but they are really big.  And there appear to be more
than I planted, but that's getting way too eerie.  Even for me, who thought
the hostas had been abducted by aliens.

Ann James
Zone 8, Conroe, Texas

Hi Ann,
I find my membership in the AHS to be a bargain at $25 a year!  We get 3 wonderful Journals a year plus the registration issue and a member directory periodically.  I turn to them time and time again for information I need.  I attend the national convention and connect with many other hosta lovers through the AHS. There may even be some of those aliens you mentioned who are members. <grin>

To join just go to http://www.hosta.org/ahsmembership.htm  and read about membership and see what you think!  Try it for a single year and give it a whirl.

As for the extra charge the Old English Sheep Dog group charges for first class delivery, I can certainly bring it up for discussion at the board meeting in Spokane.  I don't know all the ins and outs of bulk mailing but I will certainly ask!  Thank you for the info on the OESD choice that is offered.

Glad your hostas are performing beyond your expectations!  Mine are a constant surprise and joy to me here in CT.  In zone 8 you are on the edge of them needing some dormant considerations.  Jim Hawes did some experiments with refrigeration in Florida because hostas don't do well without that dormant period.  His findings are in old Journals and I will try and find something on that for you. It may be toward the end of the season as I have a gazillion plants to get into the ground and new beds to build and , and , and...

Welcome to the wild and wonderful wacky world of hostas!  Glad you found us!

Carol in CT   z6/5
AHS Eastern Region
July 6, 2002   Parsippany, NJ