Re: tree roots

  • Subject: Re: tree roots
  • From: Len Phillips <lenphillips@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Mon, 27 May 2002 11:16:44 -0700 (PDT)

Barbara,  the 2 gallon pots will be fine for small and new plants.  Given
time you will discover that all the plants become pot bound with their
roots, then you have to go to a larger size.

I like to use the very large nursery pots that are used for growing trees.
 For example my Sum & Substance is in a 200 gallon pot, Blue Umbrellas in
a 100 gallon size, etc.  They are very difficult to lift every year, but
with a couple of shovels and strong backs on opposite sides of the pot,
they do come up.

A lot of people ask me where to get the large pots.  I have found many of
mine at the local recycling center.  The rest of them I get from a couple
of nursery contractors who stock pile them at their yard for a year, then
throw them away.  One contractor delivers them to me because he likes to
see things recycled.

I'm glad to read that this system has worked for you.

--- Barbara Jackson <jacksonb@brandonu.ca> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I tried the planting in 2 gallon pots this past winter and every single
> one
> survived despite my skepticism.  :)  I just completed digging them all
> up
> and cutting away the feeder roots and discovered that one or two
> actually
> had the feeder roots growing just under the surface of the soil which
> had
> been mounded about 2 inches over the top of the pot under the ground.
> They
> were easy to dispose of and the pots will go back in the ground after
> the
> bed is redug, yet again.
>
> BJ in SW MB
> P. S.  Are 2 gallon pots big enough???