Re: Dead Hostas

  • Subject: Re: Dead Hostas
  • From: Len Phillips lenphillips@yahoo.com
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 05:23:54 -0700 (PDT)

Glen,
I lost 215 plants this winter because the Thanksgiving snow storm that hit
the Boston area.  The snow melted on the warm earth and developed a layer
of ice that stayed on the ground until April.  All of my hostas are in
pots buried in the ground.  Most of the 215 were recent divisions and the
crowns were close to the surface.  All of the hostas are growing in a
compost/perlite/gravelly garden soil custom mix.  Only half of the recent
divisions died.  There was no pattern of death among the plants and no
vole damage.  Among divisions from the same plant, one died and the next
one survived, so there wasn't a perceived genetic defect.  I have
attributed all the losses due to ice damage, over which none of us have
any control.  However, I have learned a lot of lessons and will do things
differently next year.
http://search.yahoo.com