RE: green hostas

  • Subject: RE: green hostas
  • From: "Andrew Lietzow" <alietzow@myfamily.com>
  • Date: 4 May 2004 05:41:37 -0600

Dear SECK128 and list,

RE:>>Green hostas that I love

I know I see your email handle a lot so I am sorry I do not recall who's associated with it, but be that as it may, you make a very interesting point.  I think part of it is a genetically controlled mechanism in the human eye--some humans enjoy green much more than others.   Let me elaborate, after I make one comment about the similarity between two of the mentioned cultivars you mentioned.  Personally, I believe Komodo Dragon and Lakeside Surf Rider are so nearly identical as to be highly similar.  :-)  Now, this is as of today.  In another month, this may not be true but I have been paying particular attention to these two in the garden this year and I am wondering if their gene pool may not be so similar as to be identical.  Other observations?

Now, regarding my comment about genetically controlled ocular autonomic responses.   In my voluminous spare time, I would love to find research on why some people don't notice the details of a garden until you add a lot of color and others see the details even if the theme is mostly green.   I, for one, do not need a lot of color in the garden to enjoy it thoroughly.  In fact, I love green so much that I could go for years without planting anything that blooms in the garden and I know a few others who have a similar experience.   The many shades of green within Hosta are enough to keep my synapses firing at a high rate and I do not become bored with the visual impact.  It's one of the main reasons I have many more green Hostas in my garden--I simply like them!

For others, e.g. a niece on my wife's side, they really don't notice the garden much until there is something that is blooming profusely.   Case in point--yesterday, when she came to the house, she noticed a path that is bordered by boulders and asked me, "Did you just recently put that in?".  She insisted that the path looked different that day, and thought I had done something different over the weekend.  I shared that path has been that way for two or three years, but wondered if maybe the profusely blooming Tiarella might not have been what caused her to take more notice.  She thought that perhaps I was right.

I think this is also true for many of her family members, and I know for a fact that many of the service people that come to our home don't even notice that I have a (large Hosta) garden in the yard.  They seem to be oblivious to their world, at least in the  plant realm of it.  Some people simply don't observe nature very much.  A lot of them seem to enjoy sports much more, as well, and I'm like to read a study on this, as well.  What is the correlation between sports lovers and garden lovers?   Is there a correlation that is inverse--i.e. the more one loves sports the less one likes gardening, and vice-a-versa?  I'm not sure but it does make me curious.

So I agree with you, John Soucek (?---I'm just guessing now because the posting wasn't signed), when you imply that "Green is Beautiful", and that it can be harder to tell some of the streaked varieties apart.   I think the same about many of the edge-variegated varieties, though my keen eye is better at it than many of the contractors that enter the premises.

Anyone have any research on this color issue and how our genes influence how much we enjoy different types of gardens?  Certainly there must be a gradation of color blindness that would help explain some of the disparity.

Caio,
Andrew Lietzow
Des Moines -- Where even the Choko Nishiski is finally starting to leaf out.