Re: 2003 Registrations

  • Subject: Re: 2003 Registrations
  • From: LemkeIowa@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 11:01:37 EDT

In a message dated 5/29/04 8:55:13 AM, Hostanut@Bellsouth.net writes:

<< Just wondering if there are new rules, or if registrants are just

I notice this year's registrations have many, many listings as hybrids, but
don't list who the pollen parent is. Is this something new? For example, Bob's
Corkscrew shows it's parentage as a Tortifrons Hybrid, but I know it's pollen
parent is One Man's Treasure. Why isn't that on the registration? Is it
something Bob did? Not picking on Bob, that are really lots like this and I
happen to love Corkscrew and remembered it. Why would anyone want to share the
information when it is known? I could understand open pollinated plants, but
if both parents are known, wouldn't we want accurate registration info?

Curious, ya'll know me and my database obsession....

Lu & Dan

Lu and Dan.

Remember this statement by Bill some weeks ago::

One problem that people with a scientific background must keep in mind is
that the registrations are not scientific data compiled by researchers, but
rather are reports from people with widely varying backgrounds. As a group we hosta
fanciers don't have too good a grasp on the scientific end of things, and we
still need a lot of the basic research to be performed.

Now Bob is no country hillbilly so we should await his answer to the problem.
 We databaser run into many obvious errors in our efforts to record things
correctly. The 'Hosta Finder' have been of great help to have people spell the
names correctly.

I am particularly interested in the pod and pollen parent records as I am
currently, when time is available, to codify the parents name so that I could
print out a list of all plants that say 'plantaginea' was the pod parent and or a
list of the pollen parent.

Now, join me in singing?   We shall overcome

Lemke' Master List of Hostas
        Lemke's Data Base
        Marvin 'Mike' Lemke
        3615 Davisson Road