hort.net Seasonal photo, (c) 2006 Christopher P. Lindsey, All Rights Reserved: do not copy
articles | gallery of plants | blog | tech blog | plant profiles | patents | mailing lists | top stories | links | shorturl service | tom clothier's archive0
Gallery of Plants
Tech Blog
Plant Profiles
Mailing Lists
    Search ALL lists
    Search help
    Subscription info
Top Stories
sHORTurl service
Tom Clothier's Archive
 Top Stories
New Trillium species discovered

Disease could hit Britain's trees hard

Ten of the best snowdrop cultivars

Plant protein database helps identify plant gene functions

Dendroclimatologists record history through trees

Potato beetle could be thwarted through gene manipulation

Hawaii expands coffee farm quarantine

Study explains flower petal loss

RSS story archive

Re: 2003 Registrations

  • Subject: Re: 2003 Registrations
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:56:39 -0400

Hi Kevin and Databasers,
        It is technically incorrect to convert an unknown pollen parent to
"(pod parent) Hybrid". The definition of a hybrid is a plant of mixed
parentage. The "(pod parent) Hybrid" statement would only refer to a plant
where a cross was made and then forgotten or confused with other crosses, or
for the case where an openly-pollenated plant yielded a seedling that showed
clear characteristics of another plant. The great majority of open
pollenated seedlings are selfed, so are not hybrids. The database should not
convert unknown pollen parents or malfunctioning entries to "(pod parent)
Hybrid" which would mean a definite hybrid. Rather it should use "(pod
parent) Seedling", which would mean "possible hybrid".
        People, on the other hand, are all hybrids.
                                               ........Bill Meyer

> I happen to have an abbreviated version of the database that Jim uses to
> George with classification and it looks like the 'Corkscrew' entry somehow
> didn't work in the query as it is properly entered for both Pod and Pollen
> parents, but the query only is picking up the pod parent.  The others that
> listed as hybrids that I just randomly checked really have pollen parent
listed as
> "unknown" and the query turns them into a hybrid of the pod parent.
> that have both parents listed that I randomly checked are picked up
> There is no "space" in front of the pollen parent name, so that is not the
> cause.  We will have to print a correction in next year's registration
book for
> this and any others we/you find.  Please feel free to email me on any
> that surprise you and I will check what I have and report back.  I am
sorry for
> the error.   The query should have worked for Corkscrew and picked up the
> pollen parent but it did not.  I am guessing that we will find others!
Life is
> never perfect no hard we try!
> Thanks again for the heads up!
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

To sign-off this list, send email to majordomo@hort.net with the

 © 1995-2017 Mallorn Computing, Inc.All Rights Reserved.
Our Privacy Statement
Other Mailing lists | Author Index | Date Index | Subject Index | Thread Index