Re: 2003 Registrations

  • Subject: Re: 2003 Registrations
  • From: "Bill Meyer" <njhosta@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Mon, 31 May 2004 17:56:39 -0400

Hi Kevin and Databasers,
        It is technically incorrect to convert an unknown pollen parent to
"(pod parent) Hybrid". The definition of a hybrid is a plant of mixed
parentage. The "(pod parent) Hybrid" statement would only refer to a plant
where a cross was made and then forgotten or confused with other crosses, or
for the case where an openly-pollenated plant yielded a seedling that showed
clear characteristics of another plant. The great majority of open
pollenated seedlings are selfed, so are not hybrids. The database should not
convert unknown pollen parents or malfunctioning entries to "(pod parent)
Hybrid" which would mean a definite hybrid. Rather it should use "(pod
parent) Seedling", which would mean "possible hybrid".
        People, on the other hand, are all hybrids.
                                               ........Bill Meyer

> I happen to have an abbreviated version of the database that Jim uses to
> George with classification and it looks like the 'Corkscrew' entry somehow
> didn't work in the query as it is properly entered for both Pod and Pollen
> parents, but the query only is picking up the pod parent.  The others that
> listed as hybrids that I just randomly checked really have pollen parent
listed as
> "unknown" and the query turns them into a hybrid of the pod parent.
> that have both parents listed that I randomly checked are picked up
> There is no "space" in front of the pollen parent name, so that is not the
> cause.  We will have to print a correction in next year's registration
book for
> this and any others we/you find.  Please feel free to email me on any
> that surprise you and I will check what I have and report back.  I am
sorry for
> the error.   The query should have worked for Corkscrew and picked up the
> pollen parent but it did not.  I am guessing that we will find others!
Life is