A quick walk in the garden

  • Subject: A quick walk in the garden
  • From: gw1944@vermontel.net (Glen Williams)
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2005 07:24:24 -0400

I have been wandering around the garden in the rain this morning. Up to now
I have been unwilling to face how far behind I am. I thought that if I
didn't look, the work would be done by grateful neighbors on whom I have
inflicted hundreds of hostas. In fact some of these neighbors go back into
their homes when they see me coming with hostas. They are probably
embarrassed by the bounty I am sharing and looking up words in their
thesaurus to express new ways of thanking me.

  The hostas look like half-open umbrellas right now. Despite the lack of
color contrast in some of the variegated leaves, they are fresh and very
beautiful. This is the time for plants like Fire Island, Sea Fire, Shiny
Penny, and some other small yellows to glare at you as you pass by.  Right
now they are held in stasis by the low temperatures and lack of sun. The
first warn day with sun will see them  open dramatically, and they will
quickly intermingle leaves and dubious intentions . At least for the
moment, each hosta has its own spot and is framed.

I have had some hostas arrive and have made my predictions about what is
going to look great in a couple of years. I give a strong vote to First
Mate , a tetraploid out of Kabitan, Three Sisters (an edged form from
Chartreuse Wedge, and maybe Time Tunnel which is apparently out of Frances
Williams.

I think I will go out and look some more. My seedling beds have produced
some small wonders and since many of their markers were raked out of these
beds last fall by an enthusiastic 2 year old, these small wonders are
becoming larger wonders as I type. It's not raining that hard.

"I miss her sweet presence." M.E.

Glen Williams
20 Dewey St.
Springfield , Vermont