Re: 2004 Hosta registrations

  • Subject: Re: 2004 Hosta registrations
  • From: "Bobby Baxter - Wake Forest, NC" irismoose@daylily.net
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 16:11:58 -0400

Hence my looking for the easy life where hosta names are of one word and that is unique. This bucks the trend of course where names get longer and longer and longer.<<<
Thank you Tim.

I agree coming up with those one word (and unique) names is definitely tricky. I took the easy way out and when the ICNCP started allowing for those long names, I took advantage of it. I submitted the name A MOOSE FISHING ON A POND ON MONDAY for a daylily. The daylily Registrar (my wife) rejected the name, but fortunately, the registrations committee said she had to allow it. Now I have started a series where the moose is doing something different on each day of the week.

Wow!! I had no idea that there could be so many unregistered "garden names" out there for hostas. It is definitely a problem that needs to be dealt with for the benefit of all.

Good luck downsizing your garden. I removed 300 daylily cultivars completely from the garden last year, but only added about 150 new ones this year. It seems to be a losing battle for me.

Glorious Gardening!

Bobby

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tim Saville" <timsaville@breathe.com>