Re: 2004 Hosta registrations

  • Subject: Re: 2004 Hosta registrations
  • From: "Bill Meyer" njhosta@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sun, 29 May 2005 19:39:43 -0400

Hi Bobby,
      There are a number of reasons why hostas don't get registered as
promptly as do daylilies, irises, and other flowering plants. The issues are
complex, and mostly begin with the difference between hostas and other
plants. A daylily or other plant that is named because of its flower can be
registered properly as soon as the flower is seen. Those plants make up most
of the ornamental annuals and perennials. Of the rest, there are some plants
like coleus that are named for their foliage, but all of these exhibit
mature characteristics within 3 years.
      Hostas may not reach maturity (leaving aside the question of what
"maturity" means) for 6 years or more, and that only if they are left uncut.
If a hosta is split to get it stabilized or to donate to auctions or to
place in different locations, etc. maturity may be postponed indefinitely.
Likewise hail, deer, voles, or other problems may slow the growth. A hosta
should be mature when it is registered, so that the mature characteristics
can be recorded.
      Hostas can often go several years without blooming, thus again
lengthening the wait before registering as flower photos are part of the
process.
      The AHS will begin looking at this problem in the near future with an
eye towards what can be done to improve things. The current system is
decidedly a problem with the sheer number of plants out there that are not
being registered. One particular problem is that the rules are not very
clear, leaving several different camps of interpretations on issues like
what constitutes maturity. Some now just make up mature data with often
wide-of-the-mark results just to get their plant registered. Others cut
their plants for one reason or another and do not want to "extrapolate"
mature data, so they wait until they see a mature plant before registering,
even if it takes 10-15 years or more. A hosta registration must be filled
out with the required details - the Registrar does not accept publication in
print as is done with daylilies.
      For my part, because of cutting for various reasons and lack of space
to grow them on, I doubt I have any of my own named plants in mature enough
form to register them properly with data that is actually correct. I have no
objection to registering, but I don't want to just make things up to get the
name registered. That contributes to a database that is already full of
errors which were mostly made in haste. We need to examine what we are doing
and make decisions on speed vs. accuracy.
                            ........Bill Meyer

> Tim, the new 2004 checklist indicates that there is a total of 3,227
> registered hostas.  You mention the number of "over 6,000". Are these
~3,000
> other hostas that you refer to only in commerce under "garden names"?
>
> It is hard for me to imagine that nearly an equal number registered and
> unregistered (though supposedly named) hostas are in commerce.  If this is
> the case then why would hybridizers be so irresponsible to reject the
> registration process that would only benefit them and their business.
From