Re: Hosta ID needed

  • Subject: Re: Hosta ID needed
  • From: Mike Breiding gwlist@adelphia.net
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 06:08:42 -0400

At 03:04 PM 5/5/2006 , you wrote:
>All this ID of plants request reinforces the need to plant a label when
>you plant the Hosta.  I put my label on the north side of and in the
>hole.  I use a plastic marker and write with a UniPAINT pen.  This is an
>opaque oil-base paint marker and does not fade like the original Sharpee.
>  Sharpee now has an "industrial" pen that is UV impervious (buried this
>does not matter).  Using this method, you never lose the identity of your
>plant.
>Charles Tuttle

-----------------------
Charles,
The first thing I do when I plant anything is water it in. The second is
label it.
However, I have never found a system of labelling where the labels did not
fade or "walk off".
One year I found a Robins nest with metal tags worked into. I had wondered
where they went to!
I will check locally for the Ini-Paint makers.

As for burying the label, this would be a disaster for me as I would have
to dig the plants up on  regular basis to be able to remember the names.

Now that I have you ideas on labelling, do you have any on the ID of the
plant in question?
http://mbreiding.us/hosta_id/

Thanks,
-Mike