Re: Mammals, etc. & Hostas In Spring

In a message dated 5/4/1998 8:47:40 PM Central Daylight Time,
sussextreeinc@ce.net writes:

<<
 When I move hostas I use a heavy duty (Smith and Hawking) 4 tine digging
 fork and am very careful not to cut off any root tips. Large clumps can be
 very heavy and hard to pull free from the ground. I have been thinking it
 would be nice to have a tool that was designed to pull large clumps of
 hostas. Anybody have any interesting ideas.

Dan,
Great advice. I must get one of those forks. I have always used a spade and
invariably cut off root tips.

You mentioned how great hostas look in the spring. I agree! Crisp! A while
back floppiness was mentioned. I find this happens to some of my hostas in the
spring. I think it might be due in part to fertilizing them heavily, which I
do in the spring.  'Green Sheen' flops the best of all. H. nigrescens
'Elatior' is a close second. And here comes H. montana f. macrophylla in third
place.
Clyde Crockett z5