Re: [openhosta] Re: VINEGAR

In a message dated 5/4/1998 10:35:07 PM Central Daylight Time,
Loujak4442@aol.com writes:

 This is Lou in Peoria.  Got a questions to any who can help me.  My friend
 Debbie sprayed her hosta with vinegar and it seemed to burn the leaves.  Some
 she sprayed full strength and some half strength.  She did this in the
 so no sun touched them until maybe the next afternoon.  Many of the ones
 sprayed half strength have spots like it took the color out of the leaf and
 the full strength actually destroyed many whole leaves.  We both thought the
 vinegar would not hurt the hosta at all.  Can anyone give me some feed back
 this. >>

I tried to warn people about that vinegar treatment. I nearly killed 4 hostas
last year by spraying them with a rather weak application of vinegar and
water. The exact thing happened to me.
I gather that messages were misunderstood. The solution should be sprayed or
poured at the BASE of the plant--NOT on the leaves.
It will kill slugs only on contact.
The plants were so badly affected and so ugly that I put my mower on the
lowest setting and mowed them down. They have recovered nicely.

Clyde Crockett z5 Indy IN ccredux@aol.com