Re: Strange Problem

At 05:36 PM 5/9/98 EDT, you wrote:

><< I have two H. sieboldiana 'Elegans' that are growing very strange this
> year. The leaves are a light blue green and half the size if the same
> variety next to it. The leaves also have the same number of veins but
> are just on much smaller leaves.  >>
>

>VEIN COUNT MEANS NOTHING....UNTIL THE PLANT NEARS MATURITY......LET ME THINK
>ABOUT THE REST.....
>
>DO YOU HAVE ANY TYPE OF VOLE  OR MICE PROBLEMS????  SOMETHING THAT COULD HAVE
>ATTACKED THE CROWN????

I think Ken is probably right .  This sounds like something ate some of the
"core" of the plant, Leaving only the smaller "secondary" buds to sprout.
This might also account for the color differance, as the remaining parts of
the plants would have a poor root system, and " nutriant distribution' System
Ran Lydell
Eagle Bay Hosta Gardens
10749  Bennett Rd.
Dunkirk,  NY  14048