Re: Some Questions and Comments

<<  I am tired of contributing plants
 to sales - you need bushels of top soil or pro-mix plus pots to prepare them.
 Then you go the sale to find lily-of-the-valley, quince suckers, other things
 that multiply quickly.  Spitback plants is the name around here.
 Claire Peplowski
Hi Claire -
  I know all too well what you mean.  I have however over the last 5 years of
working with our local Green Scene project gotten the public (as well as the
head honchos) interested in selling more than just lancifolia or fortunei
'Albomarginata'.  Last year we had about 20 named varieties ( about 6-12 of
each ) and sold them all in 10 minutes of opening the doors.  This year we had
60 varieties ( as many as 24 of some) and it took me about an hour to sell
them all.
   I still find the hardest to sell to the general public is anything that is
all green.  They think they are all the same plant as lancifolia and it takes
a little salesmanship. But they are definately getting hooked on hostas!!!
  Rhonda Deeds